A good cook-out during celebration of US’ Independence Day adds fun to the day’s event. Plenty of families and friends will gather up for a picnic and good barbecue to enjoy each other’s company, watch the fireworks, and be thankful for their forefathers who fought hard to give them their freedom.
Common food served are finger foods likes sandwiches, light meals and barbecues. Since there will be barbecues around, why not serve any of these sumptuous barbecue recipes for a fantastic 4th of July gathering.
Pulled Chicken Sandwich
(Credit: recipe taken from http://www.myrecipes.com)
Photo: Raymond Hom; Styling: Pamela Duncan Silver
What you need:
For the CHICKEN sandwich filling:
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
For the SAUCE:
2 teaspoons canola oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
For the BREAD:
8 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns, toasted
16 hamburger dill chips
How to prepare:
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. To prepare chicken, combine first 6 ingredients; rub evenly over chicken. Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; cover and grill 15 minutes or until a thermometer registers 180°, turning occasionally. Let stand for 5 minutes. Shred with 2 forks.
3. To prepare sauce, while chicken grills, heat canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 tablespoon sugar and next 5 ingredients (through ground red pepper); cook 30 seconds. Stir in ketchup and vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken; cook 2 minutes.
4. Place 1/3 cup chicken mixture on bottom half of each bun; top each with 2 pickle chips and top of bun.
Special note: The chicken filling and sauce can be made up to two days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
BBQ Beef Sandwich
(Credit: recipe taken from http://www.tasteofhome.com/)
What you need:
2 cups ketchup
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
14 sesame seed hamburger buns
How to prepare:
1. In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients.
2. Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
3. Pour ketchup mixture over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
4. Remove meat and shred with two forks.
5. Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through.
6. Using a slotted spoon, serve beef on buns.
Happy 4th of July!